Lucy is one of the 51 dogs from the Utica rescue. Due to her deplorable first years of life, it is hard to tell for sure but her rescuers believe she is a dachshund/terrier mix around 3 to 5 years old. She has very distinctive look that includes a large under bite and two different colored eyes, one blue and one brown. She is so sweet however, that she easily gains the love of the people around her despite her unique features.
She has been with her foster family for over two months and has been able to make great strides in starting learning how to be a dog. She spent her first couple weeks hiding under couches. Although she is still very quiet, timid and on edge at times, she has easily bonded with her foster family and now will cuddle up next to them on the couch and loves to spend her day in her dog bed under the desk while her foster mom works.
She has had a very rough beginning and because of that her foster family has some suggestions that would be best for her to continue to progressing into a great family member.
- She will easily strive in a home with no other full time dogs. Lucy’s foster home does not have any other dogs, but she has been frequently exposed to them and is doing much better at “playing nice”. She is not aggressive and does fine in general open areas, but is territorial and will snap and fend off an area that she feels is her space. She seems to be fine with cats.
- She not food aggressive at all and seems to be very drawn to people food overall. Her foster family uses pieces of ham etc. for training rewards and she has responded very quickly to the lessons that include them.
- A home with no full time small children. Her foster family includes a 7 year old energetic girl that often tries to play tag with Lucy. She tolerates it ok, but it does put her on edge and frequently bolts to the closest safe space. She would love to be the focus of someone’s individual attention. She loves to be brushed and prances around in her winter coat and walking harness. She still has not been able to catch onto the concept of a dog toy but loves her Kong filled with peanut butter.
- She is fully crated trained and with consistent outings, she is housebroke. When roaming freely around the house, she does best going outside every 4 hours.
- She deserves room to run. Lucy currently lives in the woods and loves it. She jumps, races, and smells her way through every place she can. Her forever home will need to have a fenced area or at least consistent access to an area she can run off her pent-up energy. She is not a “runner” that will bolt off in the closest direction, but will need lots of training to “come” on command. She has been working on this and doing much better so her foster family believes with more training that she can learn it.
If you think Lucy could be the perfect companion for you, please submit an adoption application to get pre-approved to meet with her! Lucy will remain in her foster home until she finds her forever family.
Adoption Fee $200.00